Wanderings Of A Philosophical Wonderer

Gay, philosophical, poetic, dark, light. ME.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Psychic Rebellion

I have no idea what to say. Half-formed thoughts are racing through my head, most of them my dissatisfaction with the education system. It's improving, yeah. Teachers are great. The subject matter just isn't. I want to learn about philosophy, about the great poets of times past and present. I want to get graded on my comprehension of Plato, of Socrates, of Ovid. Yet, I have to calculate mundane things such as how two trains leaving the same place at different times will collide and at what time and what not. It isn't that I CAN'T do the questions. Mathematics just doesn't appeal to me. Neither does chemistry. Physics yes, because for me physics is a matter of common sense. The written word, when properly constructed can be as grand as a concerto, as sweeping as an aria. In the hands of a true master, a pen can be an instrument of awe-inspiring greatness. I admire poets for their flawless understanding of the construction of sentences. Mathematics is governed by rules and is, in my opinion, for the unimaginative. Apply the correct formula to the right problem, and there you go. Clickclick, it's solved. Whereas in English, in poetry, you are only limited by your imagination. With words, you can create whole worlds in which people can lose themselves and leave their lives behind, even if only for a short period of time. Whether it's the writing of a novel, or the composition of a musical masterpiece, the result is the same. You have the opportunity to produce gems people will pay to read, people will pay to attend your concert. Mathematics, I find, while quite engaging for a select few, is bound by fixed laws and therefore, in my opinion, unworthy of my time. And yet I am still forced to study theorems and rule after rule after rule, when in all honesty, I would rather read the epic works of masters such as Oscar Wilde. I am disappointed with my position in life. If such a thing was possible, I would drop my studies now to pursue English and music. These two will always take the top slots in my life. Have I no other choice but to continue studying subjects which I have no regard for? Truly, I wish I was born in a time where man prized language and music above all else. *wistful* I'm tired as I was up all night again. So now I'm going off to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home