Wanderings Of A Philosophical Wonderer

Gay, philosophical, poetic, dark, light. ME.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Psychic Surprises

The day was full of surprises. I was on my best behaviour, and that included smiling and making small talk. No mean feat, I can tell you. I think my face is permanently screwed into a grin now. The day was cool, sweeping breezes that raced around my estate like excited children, bringing with them a warning of stormy days ahead. The storm broke out while I was having dinner with some of my extended family members. Steamboat. Yum. After dinner, I walked around, keeping myself aloof and distant, parrying probing questions with the ease of long practice. I couldn't help but be drawn in by their warmth, though, and he kept pulling me into the conversation, trying to provoke laughter from me. He even offered me a job, promising to work everything out by tomorrow. I laughed, a real laugh this time, and he invited me on an overseas trip with them. He said I have to hang out with him more. I couldn't help but feel very taken with him. His wife was very sweet too, and the two of them kept me mentally busy with their quick repartees and witty comebacks. Mmm. Their dry humor and quick wits are a match for me, I think. They make quite a pair. I had initially dreaded this 'family meeting', but overall, I think I am glad that I went in the end. I didn't have time to sort through all these new emotions that I encountered while I was out with them; I was simply too tired. His eyes studied me, and he tried his best to draw me out of my shell. Somehow, instead of making me wary and putting my defences into overdrive, they managed to lighten my view of familial ties and emotional bonds in general. I observed quietly as they gently teased each other, and I felt something within me stir. None of my thoughts or emotion showed on my face, though. But I think he knew what was going through my head, anyway. He's just one of those people whose gaze seems to bore right through you. I like this odd couple. There. I've gone and surprised myself. Anyway, I've finally worn through the pants my dad bought for me. *sad* I bought new jeans on my aunt's request, but I refused to throw the old ones out. My dad bought that for me last year. He was pretty insistent. It's not the material things that count, it's the emotions and memories that I treasure. Anyway, my aunt seemed to understand that the pants were pretty important to me, and she offered to get them mended at the tailor's. Not ten minutes after we arrived at our doorstep, the heavy clouds unleashed their wrath. Yet another surprise. This morning, all I'd gleaned from the winds was a light, cooling shower. This was an all-out thunderstorm. I watched drowsily until the sheets of torrential rains quickly destroyed any visibility. Reluctantly, I crawled into my corner and closed my eyes, finally getting some sleep after a few days of emotional upheaval. I say upheaval because I'm so used to being gloomily depressed and dark, that being cheerful is quite a strange experience for me. It has been rather pleasant, on the whole. I've never been more content, really. I've taken care of some of my more pressing issues, and again, it is another night of peaceful rest. Still, constant vigilance eh? The morning might bring a breeze of unpleasantness. But for now, I'm content to drink my chilled water and watch my shows with a heart as light as air.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home