Wanderings Of A Philosophical Wonderer

Gay, philosophical, poetic, dark, light. ME.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Psychic Explanation

Tonight, boys and girls, I feel very disillusioned with the world in general. I had a great day, had a blast hanging out with Seif. I've missed him. We spoke at length on our thoughts regarding philosophy, our destinations in life, and our general sense of detachment from societal pressures. Yes, do not be surprised. I am very aware that I am unusual in the sense that I do not feel the need to belong to a society, school or organisation. The problem with greatness of any kind, it seems, is that it does not come with an instruction manual. You must learn to handle the weight of your sword. Mine is my mind, sharp and cutting, but heavy and unwieldy. I can discourse at length on any topic that skims the surface of my mind. I make it a point to bring myself up to speed in terms of languages, philosophical debates, or anything that generally catches my interest. So I'm a dreamer, an idealist. I do not spend my time idly sleeping, or doing nothing in particular. My physical self may be still for hours, days even, but my mind is processing and analysing. If all anyone ever did was to work at some dead-end job just to have a wallet full of money, would we still know the Earth is round? What, may I ask, separates you from that person walking down the street? In Singapore, particularly, where the population is clustered and living in such close proximity...what is it that marks you as you? Do you want to grow up with a man/woman by your side, with perhaps a few children to complete the picture? Why, mankind throughout the ages has been doing that. What significance is there in such a humdrum life? No, my friends. I am not interested in such trivial pursuits. I am interested in the minds of great men, those who invent, those who create, those who think. THAT is what makes a man. Sure, I could grow up, get a decent job, work 9-5. But at the end of the day, what difference have I made to the world? Alexander Graham Bell, Confucius, Socrates, Plato, Galileo, Freud...all these men have passed on. Yet their legacy leaves on. Their lives were not in vain. They were not mindless drones who grew up, had children and died without impacting the world in some way. Having said that, I have nothing against couples raising kids. In fact, I think it is very noble that they are nurturing future leaders, thinkers, greatness. But what cuts me is that...where has that spark gone to? Have we killed inspiration for our future generations by our obsession with the paper chase? What do papers have to show? They do not reflect a person's true ability. Truth be told, I am very intellectually-inclined. I would rather spend a day speaking to someone who can hold his ground in a conversation with me, rather than spend an entire day working mindlessly for a job just so I can have material possessions. Far be it from me to proclaim so shamelessly that I am not materialistic. I am. I just have higher priorities. I want to cement my status as who I am. How many parents scoff at their children's ideals? My parents do. Heck, even my friends struggle with the idea that I am perfectly content to go down to the reservoir every night and sit in quiet contemplation of the world around me. Galileo fought societal views to educate the public on the error of their ways. Yet, society, look around you. The building you live in is a result of imagination. Had parents laughed off and discouraged ideals in children, we might still be hunter-gatherers living off the land. These children would grow up with superior intellect, but would never have the confidence to actually put it to use. What would be the point? No-one would listen. All the devices, the science, the theories...is a result of intellect at work. Erase that, and where would we be? HOw much growth are we stumping through sheer ignorance? I never overlook anyone. I have great faith in my skills at intellectual games, but I was once royally trounced by a cleaner at my school. I bowed to him, and until now I respect his superior intellect. Who cares if he is a cleaner? His job is no reflection of his intellect. How many stigmas and misconceptions must we address, society? I would give the same amount of respect to a homeless tramp had he shown the slightest ability to engage me in an intelligent conversation. Do not be deceived. I may use humour as a conversational tool, but I look at the words a person uses, at how they thrust and parry in our conversation. Why do we have this preconceived notion that we must all get a job and a good education? Is this a prerequisite to life? I'm afraid it has become so. Learning used to be an ongoing process. Now, apparently, it is a process measured by how well you do on generalised written tests. How is that a measure of intellectual aptitude? I am marked different because of my unwillingness to join the rat race blindly. These racers miss the whole point of life. They work, get married, have kids, blink twice and die. I watch people pass me by, and yet to me they are all the same. Perhaps I am of a different mould from the people that surround me. I don't know. All I know is that this difference feels very damning tonight. Seif's words have helped to calm my soul for the moment, and I am indeed very thankful that he is a kindred spirit. Had it not been for him, tonight would have ended very differently. Not everyone can understand a person's craft. Mine is to think, to understand the words of the world's greatest thinkers, and to understand the language of music. I have been ranting for quite some time now. It is not beyond me to restructure my thoughts and philosophies to correct flaws in them. And I know that many will fail to see my points. I have listed most of my grievances tonight, and I will save the rest for another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home