Wanderings Of A Philosophical Wonderer

Gay, philosophical, poetic, dark, light. ME.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Psychic Voice

While I was skimming through some articles on the amendment of Singapore's Penal Codes, I came across another article that piqued my interest, though not in a good way. It might ring a bell to those who happen to be gay. It's called the ex-gay movement. A program that seeks to alter a person's sexual orientation. At first I couldn't believe my eyes. Then a whisper from my past drifted through my mind. Someone had tried to get me to join this group. At that time, I had no idea what this organisation was all about. And being me, I had steadfastly refused to be affiliated with any mainstream group. The more I read, the more stunned I became. Parents send their own children to these organisations, telling them they either have to change who they are or they are not normal. The implication is that 'we want you to be like everyone else.' How many confused teenagers are out there, torn between who they are and who society wants them to be? I was even more disappointed to read that the Ministry Of Community Development, Youth and Sports of this country that I live in has granted $100,000 to one such organisation. Don't believe me? Click on 'Psychic Voice'. Waay at the bottom page.
And what will be the point of this? Do these people lack the skill of foresight? Or are they just myopic to the consequences? How many brainwashed people in the future will only realise that they are indeed gay, after having started families? Do you want that to happen? Families torn apart because it was encouraged to suppress who you are to please the world? I can live with certain idiosyncrasies. Like the flawed education system, which is totally bugging me at the moment, but this just really reeks at the moment. Gay teenagers, indeed, gay people don't need such organisations telling us we're abnormal blips among the clones that humanity has become. Prejudice has existed for a long time, in various disguises. Each time we beat one form, another emerges. Social standing, skin colour, financial holdings, personal intelligence, sexual orientation, physical appearances...why do we let these differences affect the way we live our lives? Why do we let these things warp the way we look at the multitude of people surrounding us? I will not lie, if I had someone to tell me being gay is ok when I first realised I am, it would have made a huge difference to my life. So what is this nonsense about a program that changes the very essence of who you are? I find it insulting. Where are the seminars that dispel commonly held misconceptions regarding homosexuality? Where are the support groups? Where are the public awareness campaigns? That would be a lot more helpful than this program that only enforces the ridiculous belief that homosexuality is a state of mind.
Raphael, come down and heal the hatred and ignorance of humanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home